We need your help!
The Discovery Center building is now ready to go. All it needs is displays. The Discovery Center Steering Committee has hired the Good Design Group of Midland and Ypsilanti to develop exhibits. Some possible exhibit topics are:
The DNR has announced a new elk tracking research project. Here is the announcement including a video of an elk capture and several photos.
Senate Bills 39 and 40 are effectively dead for this legislative session but may be taken up again in the session starting in January 2017. House and Senate versions could not be reconciled in this session.
Needless to say, this is probably not the end of this bad idea. Continued communication from supporters of Pigeon River Country to lawmakers and the DNR are encouraged.
So we'll keep watch out for a possible resuscitation in next year's legislative session. Below are some of the items we were concerned about in this year's version.
• The potential forced opening of our few remaining special management areas to motorized vehicles
• Increased timber harvest to levels which may be in conflict with publicly-adopted sustainable forest management plans
• Calls for the elimination of some habitat management activities which benefit both game and non-game wildlife species
• Transfers authority for strategic public land decisions in most areas of northern Michigan to a small number of local officials
• Requires accelerated and preferential sales of public land to adjacent private landowners, including lands which are NOT designated as surplus
• Reduced application fees for the private acquisition of public land or easements to levels which are well below the DNR’s cost of application review and administration
• Prohibits the DNR from rejecting even flawed real estate appraisals involving the State sale of public lands
• Prohibits public land management activities which are intended to preserve biological diversity
• Requires the development of new strategic land plans to facilitate these policies in spite of the fact that the DNR’s 2013 plan has never been legislatively approved or even formally considered
These proposed requirements collectively represent a significant diversion of DNR field staff time and resources away from the management of our forests, fisheries and wildlife.
Send us your favorite picture for
Picture of the Month
A reminder of months past! Pickerel Lake at sunset.
Our current major project is helping with the Pigeon River Country Discovery Center. Here is some information, but see the Current Newsletter or Discovery Center page for more details.
We are partners with the Otsego County Historical Society, Pigeon River Advisory Council, the Lunden family and the DNR as we build a Discovery Center in the old 1930's built CCC Unit Manager's Cabin at Forest Headquarters pictured here.
NEW MAP OF PIGEON RIVER COUNTRY
Our new map of the High Country Pathway and the Pigeon River Country is now available! It has up to date ownership, trail, and forest information. The new map costs $9 plus $1.50 for shipping and is available under Maps/Membership/Donations. Our Holiday Special has ended but you can still get the new map and Dale Franz' paperback book "The Pigeon River Country" by ordering them separately. The book includes some very interesting reminiscences from old timers as well as current information on the PRC.
As always your dollars support an intern working in the Pigeon River Country State Forest.